Do your eyes ever pop open in the morning and you immediately start counting how many hours until you can get back in bed?
I remember doing that a lot in college. Only, then, I could take a nap between classes if I wanted to…not so much now. Ahhhh College. :)
Well perhaps you are a morning person and you wake up every day with a song in your heart, and just ready to go, go, go! But not me. Uh-uh. I am not a morning person. I start slow.
Sometimes having a nice slow morning is great. However, most of the time there is stuff to do and I have to “hit the ground running” so they say.
You know what else I am realizing? It is something I am learning about myself by watching my kids…isn’t it crazy how that happens? I found myself saying to my sweet 1st Grader this morning that her grumpiness about getting ready for school is only going to hurt her. As I reflect on that I can’t help but think…Boom. Right back at you Mom! My attitude in the morning is only going to hurt me. If I get off on the wrong foot it puts a road block in my day. Sooner or later we can even drag down others around us if we don’t get our day going in a positive way. So how do we jump-start our mornings? How do we start each day in a good way? In a God-honoring way? How do we “hit the ground running” and keep our hearts and minds and attitudes pure?
Well let’s brainstorm some practical ways…
Here is my unofficial list if you need to pick up the pace and get going…in no particular order…
10 Ways To Jumpstart Your Morning
1. Music-Put on some energetic, happy, tunes and sing and dance your way through your morning routine.
2. Exercise– This is so hard for me (okay almost impossible) but on the few mornings when I exercise it really does get you woken up and feeling ready for the day.
3. Baked Goods- This is definitely the case for my husband, but I have to agree that if there is a yummy breakfast food waiting downstairs, I am more likely to get up and head that way.
4. Clean Something- I know that is a rough suggestion, and maybe I’m just crazy but if I make the bed, or unload the dishes, or start a load of laundry something about the good feeling of getting a jump-start on chores feels good and energizing.
5. Coffee– Enough said.
6. Get Ready– For some of you this is required for your job. For me, it is not. :) I do think that the days I get ready for the day and get dressed as if I am going somewhere helps me get going.
7. Quiet Time– Spending any amount of time reading the Bible, listening for God’s voice, and praying will have a huge impact on your day! Make this a priority!
8. Notice– See the beautiful things around you. A sunrise, a sleepy child, the way sunlight comes in a window, clouds…etc. I know there have been many mornings when the simple things help me start my day with a smile.
9. Encourage– Start your day thinking about ways you can start someone else’s day well. A note in a lunchbox, a hug and kiss, a text to a friend.
10. Set A Goal– Whether it is a goal for the year, the season, or the day, have some type of goal or priority in your mind when you start the day and let it motivate you to reach for something that day. Even if it just means returning library books or getting somewhere on time. :)
What gets YOU going in the morning?